Waste Reduction & Recycling
The PSU is the only site on ASU’s main campus that houses a central recycling station for items such as compact fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, grocery bags, and techno-trash.
Composting for Events
The PSU staff made the commitment in 2013 to begin composting catered events with more than 50 people in attendance. We trained a “composting crew,” bought the necessary supplies, worked out the campus systems to enact this program, and began a new educational initiative with our campus community. A small fee supports this waste reduction initiative.
Every meeting room & hallway is equipped with containers for mixed recycling.
- Much of the wood in the building is harvested from certified sustainable forests
- Many wall surfaces are unpainted concrete, reducing building materials
- More efficient hand dryers vs. paper towels
- McAlister's now washes dishes instead of using disposable materials, and patrons can now recycle plastic cups.
- Concrete structure of the 2013 addition is a natural product from sand, gravel and Portland cement having a much smaller carbon footprint than a comparable steel structure.